Website Policies and Important Notices
Kids.gov is a gateway to resources from government agencies and other public and private organizations. When users click on links from non-government entities, they are leaving Kids.gov and are subject to the privacy and security policies of the owners/sponsors of the outside websites. Additionally, these sites may be selling services or products. By linking to these sites, Kids.gov is not endorsing these services or products. As a gateway, Kids.gov is not responsible for writing or maintaining the information found on the sites that we link to. If you have questions or comments about the content, please e-mail us.
Kids, remember to show your parents or some other responsible adult what you are doing before you send any personal information!
To Request a Link
Upon request, we will evaluate sites for inclusion on Kids.gov. Please read the information below, prior to sending your request. If your site does not meet the criteria, please do not send in a request. The final decision for inclusion is based on whether the Kids.gov team determines that your site has met all of the criteria.
- Government agency website.
- Non-profit or organization website.
- Commercial websites as supplementary information to government or non-profit websites.
Evaluation Criteria for Sites:
- The primary intent of the website is to educate and inform, rather than persuade, convert, or sell. The site may include advertising but is free from heavy marketing or promotion of products.
- The site is compliant with the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA). The Federal Trade Commission has a fun and easy to understand website called Kids' Privacy; this site explains the ruling in more simple terms. Each site must self-certify that they are COPPA compliant.
- The site provides information that falls in one of our subject categories and is appropriate for children ages 5-13. The site is designed for children, with attention paid to language, activities, and entertainment that are suitable for this age group.
- The site's owner or sponsor is easily identifiable, and information on how to contact the owner or sponsor is provided.
- The site clearly states if any charges or registration process is required for use of the site.
- The site does not promote specific religious or other social agendas.
Note to non-government sites: If we feel that your site meets our criteria, but duplicates information already covered by too many of the other sites that we link to, we may choose to not link to your site.
For site security purposes and to ensure that this service remains available to all users, GSA webservers employ industry-standard methods to monitor network traffic to identify unauthorized attempts to upload or change information, or otherwise cause damage. Unauthorized attempts to upload information or change information on GSA servers are strictly prohibited and may be punishable by law, including the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act of 1986 and the National Information Infrastructure Protection Act. In the specific context of this security monitoring, there is no expectation of privacy. However, only in the case of actual law enforcement investigations, will we attempt to identify individual users or their usage habits.