Page last updated: Dec 6th, 2016
- Colonial America (1492-1763) - Read how America began.
- Revolutionary Period (1764-1789) - Fnd out the American Revolution got started.
- New Nation (1790-1828) - During this time, Americans established their government and two parties emerged--the Federalists and the Republicans.
- Western Expansion & Reform (1829-1859) - Presidents Andrew Jackson, James Polk, and John Tyler, like many Americans, wanted to expand the borders of America westward.
- Civil War (1860-1865) - After Abraham Lincoln was elected president in 1860, 11 Southern states withdrew from the Union and set up an independent government--the Confederate States of America; these events led to the outbreak of the Civil War.
- Reconstruction (1866-1877) - After the North defeated the South in the Civil War, politicians faced the task of putting the divided country back together.
- Gilded Age (1878-1889) - The growth of industry and a wave of immigrants marked this period in American history.
- Great War & Jazz Age (1914-1928) - Foreign affairs (relationships with other countries) took up a great deal of President Woodrow Wilson's attention; see what else was going on at this time.
- Depression & World War II (1929-1945) - October 29, 1929, was "Black Tuesday" is the day that the stock market crashed, officially setting off the Great Depression.
- Modern Era (1946 - present) - During this time, Americans went to the moon, ushered in the civil rights movement and the fight for equal rights for women and established relations with China.
- Remembering September 11 - Read this article to help understand what happened on September 11, 2001.