Page last updated: Feb 9th, 2017
- Colonial America (1492-1763) - Read about how America began.
- Revolutionary Period (1764-1789) - Find out about how the American Revolution started.
- New Nation (1790-1828) - During this time, Americans established their government and the two-party system emerged – the Federalists and the Republicans.
- Western Expansion & Reform (1829-1859) - Presidents Andrew Jackson, James Polk, and John Tyler, along with many Americans helped expand America to the west.
- Civil War (1860-1865) - After the election of Abraham Lincoln in 1860, a Civil War began when 11 Southern states left the Union and set up a new government —the Confederate States of America.
- Reconstruction (1866-1877) - After the North defeated the South in the Civil War, politicians faced the task of putting the divided country back together.
- Gilded Age (1878-1889) - The growth of factories and industry, great building projects and a wave of industrious immigrants shaped this period in American history.
- Great War & Jazz Age (1914-1928) - Foreign affairs and World War I took up a great deal of President Woodrow Wilson's attention. See what else was going on in the arts and sciences at this time.
- Depression & World War II (1929-1945) - October 29, 1929,"Black Tuesday" was the day that the stock market crashed and the Great Depression began. On December 7, 1941, America entered World War II, a conflict that shaped today's world.
- Modern Era (1946 - present) - During this time, Americans went to the moon, advanced technology, science and the arts, made great social changes during the civil rights movement and the women's movement, grew in prosperity and diversity, and elected the first African American president.
- Remembering September 11 - Read this article to help understand what happened on September 11, 2001.