Page last updated: Sep 16th, 2016
Reading and Writing
- America's Story from America's Library - Discover the stories of America's past, like Buffalo Bill and Harriet Tubman; find out about interesting inventions and get fascinating historical facts.
- American Memory - Historical resources on a variety of topics. Check out this huge collection.
- Between the Lions - Parents and Teachers - Here's where you'll find everything you need to know about the program plus teacher guides, parent activities, and more.
- Children's Literature - Rare Books Digital Collection - Read some of the most beloved children&s stories from the 18th century to the present.
- Ebook - An e-reader app which makes thousands of popular, top-selling eBooks available to kids from in-need families for free to encourage reading.
- Literature - Library of Congress - Collection of literary documents including poetry and books of famous Americans.
- Reading Is Fundamental - This section is designed especially for all of you - teachers, childcare providers, librarians, and other professionals - to support you in your efforts to help children become lifelong readers.
- Reading Rockets - For Teachers - This site is loaded with tons of reading resources including guides, webcasts, and recommended reading lists.
- Smithsonian Education - For Teachers - Use this search to find Smithsonian educational resources that are aligned to national, common core, or state standards.
- Story Starters Teacher's Guide - The Story Starter machine serves up hundreds of creative combinations that take the writer's block out of creative writing for students.
- Suggested Reading from the Smithsonian - A list of suggested reading materials. Check out these great books about art, science, history, and adventure!
- Using Primary Sources - Primary sources are the raw materials of history - original documents and objects which were created at the time. Examining primary sources gives students a powerful sense of history.